From a RootsMagic Narrative to a FamilySearch Life Story
One of the features I appreciate on FamilySearch is the ability to add a Brief Life History to an ancestor's profile. Instead of presenting visitors with only dates, places, and relationships, a well-written life story helps explain who that person was and why their life mattered.
For years, my "life stories" often consisted of the narrative report generated by RootsMagic. Those reports are wonderful research tools because they organize the facts in chronological order and document each event. However, they are written in a very factual style:
Leon Crawford was listed as a one-year-old male on the 1895 Kansas census...
Leon Crawford was listed as the son of J. F. Crawford on the 1910 census...
Leon Crawford was listed as the head of the household on the 1920 census...
While that format is perfect for researchers, it isn't always engaging for cousins or other FamilySearch users who simply want to learn about an ancestor's life.
Since I had already created a well-documented narrative report in RootsMagic, I wondered if AI could help transform it into something more readable. After reviewing FamilySearch's recommendations for writing a Brief Life History, I uploaded my RootsMagic narrative report to ChatGPT and asked it to create a life story that followed those guidelines.
The result wasn't shorter because it omitted facts—it was shorter because it emphasized the events that best told Leon's story.
Instead of a series of census entries, the new version explained that Leon grew up in Dodge City after his family moved there from Newton. Rather than listing each military record separately, it summarized his World War I service, his deployment to France, and his participation in the anti-aircraft defense of Paris and the Second Battle of the Marne. His decades with the Santa Fe Railway became a career instead of dozens of individual directory listings. The story also highlighted his marriage to Winnie Currey, the joys and tragedies of raising a family, his retirement, and his lifelong connection to the Dodge City community.
The finished biography reads much more like something you would find in a local history book than a database report.
I also appreciated that the final paragraph placed Leon's experiences into historical context:
His life reflected the experiences of many Americans of his generation—growing up on the Kansas plains, serving his country during World War I, helping build the nation's railroad system, and remaining devoted to his family and hometown throughout his life.
After reviewing the text for accuracy, I replaced the old RootsMagic narrative on Leon Russel Crawford's FamilySearch profile with the new version.
If you'd like to see the finished Brief Life History in context, you can view Leon Russel Crawford's FamilySearch profile.
This experience reinforced something I've discovered repeatedly while using AI for genealogy. The quality of the result depends on the quality of the research. ChatGPT didn't discover any new facts about Leon—it simply reorganized the documented information into a narrative that is more inviting for others to read.
RootsMagic remains my research database. FamilySearch remains a place to share that research with others. AI simply helped bridge the gap by turning a fact-filled report into a story that better reflects the life behind the records.
If you've already created narrative reports in RootsMagic or another genealogy program, consider using one as the foundation for a FamilySearch Brief Life History. You may be surprised how much more approachable your ancestor's story becomes while still remaining faithful to the documented evidence.

Comments
Post a Comment