Pages

Friday, June 30, 2017

Ancestry Citation Length Experiment

Have you ever had the family disappear off of the profile screen in an Ancestry tree?

I'd experienced it before but when I recently encountered it, I decided to seek guidance from one of my Facebook communities.





Armed with that response, I returned to my tree and, sure enough, there was a citation that had been uploaded with the original gedcom that could be considered 'lengthy'.

When I clicked on 'view', I could see most of the citation.





Clicking the 'Edit Source' button took me to a screen where I could hopefully make some changes to shorten the citation.

So I decided the easiest way to shorten the citation without losing some essential information was to remove some of the subtitling.




I then scrolled to the bottom of the page to locate the button to save the source.



That's when I got the dreaded 'We're Sorry' page



I've tried editing the source multiple times and it always comes to this page.





So, now I'm playing with a 'test' tree to see what happens when I delete the source. If I click the View button for the source, the source window opens. On this window is a 'Remove' button

After verifying that I indeed want to remove the source, the screen immediately reverts to the normal profile screen.

So, my Facebook 'friend' was correct --

There is a limit to the length of a citation on Ancestry!

I have called Ancestry on this issue since I want to know what that limit is. The support person I reached had not seen this issue before. She was very thorough in reviewing the problem and discovered another, potentially related issue: The person's name could not be searched but was in the list of people. My case is being reviewed and hopefully, I will find out the maximum length for a citation.








4 comments:

  1. Well done! I have had the same problem but never figured out the reason for it. Legacy Family Tree has a similar problem - it limits Footnotes (master + detail) to 255 characters. I'll bet Ancestry has the same character limit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randy - I'm guessing you are correct with the 255 character limit. My next step is to change the citation in my RM tree and see if I can get the new one uploaded.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for reporting on this, Marcia. I haven't seen this happen, but I will be quite frustrated when it does. And then I'll remember what you learned, I hope.

    Does your tree have multiple individuals citing that source?

    By the way, in your shoes, instead of uploading a shortened one from RM, I would manually create a fresh source in Ancestry with the shorter name and attach that to the profile. It's tedious, but probably easier than uploading a fresh Gedcom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marian,

      Thanks for your comment.

      Yes, the 'offending' citations would show up for multiple events and multiple individuals.

      Since I am using the TreeShare feature of RootsMagic, I am able to 'upload' the edited comment. Thus, I don't have to upload a gedcom file.

      Since I have a 'new tree' (due to upload for RootsMagic TreeShare), I have seen the long citation on multiple people. It is a pain to correct, but the screen magically changes as soon as that long citation is deleted.

      Delete