According to the RootsMagic blog post, "Questions about Upcoming Ancestry Features - We've Got Answers", the first preparatory step will involve a decision.
Which set of data do I use to sync RootsMagic with Ancestry?
- RootsMagic data
- Ancestry tree
- RootsMagic contains all of my collateral line research
- RootsMagic contains sources from outside of Ancestry (deeds, licenses, certificates, FamilySearch, MyHeritage, newspapers, etc.)
- Most of the events in RootsMagic have documentation attached. Some of this documentation is older and not as accurate as current standards -- but it is documentation.
- I will have to 're-connect' the DNA tests I administer to this new tree
- matches may change
- shared hints may change
- circles will likely disappear at first before re-forming
- genealogical communities will likely disappear at first before reappearing
- Shaky leaf hints may be affected -- This will depend on how well Ancestry recognizes the events and associated documentation in my file.
Thus, my major concern is making sure I have downloaded my DNA matches and documented the shared matches and DNA circles.
There may be other consequences that I haven't considered. I would love to hear from other RootsMagic users about how they are preparing for this upcoming sync.
There's work to do to prepare -- but I am looking forward to this new feature!